Monday, May 16, 2011

Differences in Parenting

Even when you're friends seem to parent JUST like you, eventually, you will find some differences.

We're currently navigating those waters. Do I ask my daughter to obey the adult even though the adult is asking for something I'm not? Do I ask the adult to allow something she's uncomfortable with because I am ok with it?

Friend, you're worth waiting for. I think I'm getting better at balancing on this rope. I applied for that job and got an interview, I'm still friends with another applicant. I'm letting my daughter gain new responsibility as she shows me her competency, other mamas are cheering me on. It's a hard transition. There is a disconnecting that occurs as you move from the baby stage to the 'big kid' stage. I'm not letting go of love or affection or interest, but as my daughter needs me less, I'm letting her do more. It's hard to do. It's hard to watch your friends let their kids do things that seem dangerous. But our friendship can weather this. We can handle our differences and we can respect them. I'll wait for you to find your way.

Sometimes I think mamas need gentle parenting too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com